SHILLONG : The Shillong Municipal Board (SMB) on Monday relocated 86 hawkers from Laitumkhrah to designated vending areas at Dhankheti and Brightwell Bungalow in Barik, as part of efforts to clear footpaths and roads for pedestrians.
The relocation was carried out after the hawkers were served a one-month notice by the SMB.
SMB Chief Executive Officer (CEO) PK Boro said the relocation had been planned well in advance and that the hawkers cooperated with the authorities during the exercise.
“Everything has been arranged. They are complying and cooperating with us,” Boro told reporters during the relocation drive.
He said the SMB had issued notices to the hawkers one month before the relocation and that the process was not a sudden decision.
“This is not about one day. We issued notices giving them one month’s time and today is the day for relocation. They have all accepted and relocated,” Boro said.
According to the SMB CEO, the government is also providing financial assistance to affected hawkers and street vendors as part of the relocation process.
The move is aimed at reducing congestion and ensuring that footpaths and roads remain accessible to pedestrians and other road users.
Meanwhile, when asked about hawkers operating along Jail Road, Boro said the matter was separate from Monday’s relocation exercise.
“That is a different issue. We will take action accordingly,” he said.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright (C) of meghalayadaily 2010