SHILLONG : The Meghalaya government will seek to recover damages caused during Wednesday’s violent Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) bike rally under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act (MMPO Act), while permission for the union’s proposed August 21 agitation has been revoked.
Deputy Commissioner Abhilash Baranwal told reporters on Thursday that the rally violated the conditions under which permission had been granted and was subsequently declared an unlawful assembly.
An FIR has also been registered in connection with the incidents.
Three senior KSU leaders — president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar — have been arrested.
16 Assaults, Vehicles Damaged
According to Baranwal, authorities have received reports of 16 assaults, damage to private vehicles, the torching of two vehicles, including a government vehicle, and vandalism of statues of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Swami Vivekananda.
“We will invoke the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act and impose financial sanctions. The organisation and individuals responsible for damage during a procession are liable to pay,” he said.
The government’s decision to revoke permission for Friday’s proposed protest came after the assurances given regarding a peaceful demonstration were allegedly violated during Wednesday’s rally.
Petrol Bomb Hurled at Police
Baranwal also said an FIR was registered after a petrol bomb was allegedly hurled at police personnel during a raid at the KSU office in Jaiaw.
He said police had gone to arrest individuals allegedly involved in the assaults during the rally when the situation escalated.
“Police had gone to arrest those directly involved in the assaults. A petrol bomb was hurled at them. The response with one stun grenade and tear gas was proportionate and only to disperse the attacking crowd. Police withdrew after community leaders intervened,” Baranwal said.
Injured Being Treated, Helpline for Tourists
The Deputy Commissioner said people injured during the incidents were receiving treatment at Civil Hospital.
He added that helplines would be issued for tourists who may have been stranded amid the unrest.
The administration is also coordinating with authorities in Assam following reports of Meghalaya-registered vehicles being stopped near Jorabat.
Baranwal said the administration was monitoring the situation and added that imposition of curfew would remain a last resort.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright (C) of meghalayadaily 2010