SHILLONG : Meghalaya Police on Monday exhumed the body of Trophimos Khongmawdoh, a resident of Pynter village, who was allegedly assaulted by members of a Village Defence Party (VDP), as investigations continue into the controversial death case.
Speaking to reporters, East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police Vivek Syiem said the exhumation had initially been scheduled for Friday but was delayed due to bad weather conditions.
“The body was supposed to be exhumed on Friday but due to inclement weather the body was exhumed today,” Syiem said.
According to the SP, a post-mortem examination was conducted on the spot and authorities are now waiting for the forensic report to determine the actual cause of death.
“We will await the report of the post-mortem to ascertain whether he was murdered or whether he died of natural cause,” he said.
Syiem added that further legal action, including possible cancellation of anticipatory bail and arrests, would depend entirely on the findings of the medical report.
“Thereafter we will take a call whether to move court for cancellation of the bail and thereafter cause arrest,” he stated.
The deceased had been buried since April 7, and police admitted that the body had significantly decomposed.
“Yes, the body has decomposed as it was since 7 of April so it is decomposed. But let us hope that we will get some clues on the cause of death,” Syiem said.
Police confirmed that an altercation had taken place at the deceased’s residence, leading to intervention by VDP members and the village headman.
“Investigation is still on to actually ascertain whether the assault by VDPs… yes it is a fact that some assault had taken place due to altercation and issue which happened in that household, where the VDP and the headman had to interfere,” he said.
However, police are yet to determine whether the alleged assault directly caused the death.
“To ascertain whether the assault caused the death or whether it was self-inflicted or it was a natural cause, that will be clear after the post-mortem report is out,” he added.
Syiem said investigators are examining all possible evidence, including videos and witness statements.
“In fact, all angles to the case right from the video, people who have been over there, we are trying to ascertain more into the case and thereafter come to conclusion on whether these people are guilty or not,” he said.
So far, 11 individuals have secured anticipatory bail in connection with the case.
“The process is on. 11 people have taken anticipatory bail, that means their involvement is there,” Syiem said.
Police are also questioning bystanders and other people present at the scene, who may serve as independent witnesses in the ongoing investigation.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright (C) of meghalayadaily 2010